Monday, June 1, 2009

Coop, Part Two

The chicken coop is coming along ... slowly. We started on the pen part of the coop. The part coming out from the coop will be screened in and roofed, so they'll have plenty of room to scratch around and be out in the fresh air. You may notice that the space behind the coop looks different from the last pictures. The people who bought the lot are planning on finishing the fence (yeah!!), and they cleared the scrub that was there last week. They did leave a tree, so I'm interested to see how they do the fence around the tree. It's good timing for the fence. Except for a part over by the hammock, the yard will all fenced in. The chickens can still fly a bit, but I do like the idea of letting them out in the yard on the rare occasion. (You'll also notice, if you look close enough, Gus the cat in the pictures.)

Bad non-coop item:

When I got home from work today, the chicks' water bottle was on its side. I have no idea how long it had been like that. The chicks like to stand and lay on top of the bottle and I'm sure that when one of them jumped off, it got knocked over. Anyway, when they finally were able to drink, I thought they would never stop. They were so thirsty. Of course, I felt like a bad mother--I'm going to try to tie it to the pen so it can't be knocked over again. I do love watching them drink though. They take a bit of water and then stretch their necks up to swallow it--so cute.








No comments:

Post a Comment