Tuesday, November 10, 2009


So, last night we had a bit of weather thanks to Ida. She started out as a hurricane, but was only a tropical storm when it was all said and done. Still, we weren't sure where she would come ashore and how strong the winds would be so we did somewhat batten down the hatches, so to speak. I went to put the chicks' food and water in the coop around 7 pm. I figured that if it was really raining in the morning, the chicks could have their food and water in the coop and they wouldn't have to come out into the pen and get blown around or wet.

The first thing I noticed when I went out there with my flashlight was that there was an egg in the dirt. I picked it up and put it in my pocket and didn't think too much about it. But when I went to put the water in the coop, I noticed that Bee was sleeping on the bench where we keep the water. I did think that was strange. I picked her up to put her in the coop and that's when I noticed that the coop was empty. I looked all around for the rest of the chicks, but they were no where to be found. Finally, I looked up, and there they were: up top on a piece of wood that spans the pen. Birdie, Honey, Myrtle, Ethel and Rosemary were all huddled together, sleeping in the rafters.

When I went out to check on them this morning, it was obvious that they had slept there all night. I felt bad because I had put Bee in the coop away from the others, but that was before I realized the plan was to have a campout. I don't have a clue why they'd want to sleep outside, especially in the wind and rain. Quite odd, if I do say so myself, but what do I know about chicken logic?

As I was cleaning the pen this morning, I suddenly realized I was the only one in the pen. The chicks had pushed the door open and were all busy pecking around outside. I finished up and then sat with them for 15 minutes or so. Myrtle found and ate a worm--she had to run away to a private spot to make sure no one shared it with her--and all the chicks liked drinking the puddled water in the wagon. I like letting them out in the evenings better because they go into the pen all by themselves when it starts getting dark, but now with the time change, it's dark by the time I get home and they haven't had much outside time. This morning, I don't have to be at work until later (storm leave), so it didn't matter much that they were out, but I do need to look at getting a latch on the inside. I can't be chasing them around the yard and make it to school and work on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment